Monday 28 January 2013

More exercises & my Crossfit Experience

Hi gang,

Here is another routine you might like to try! If you're not interested in this then scroll right down and read about my CrossFit taster session!

Remember the first move from my last blog? Well this is the same but instead of curling your arm in, keep it straight, then squat back down and repeat. Note that this should be harder, I had to use a much lighter weight to keep my arm straight! 15 reps x3.

Here I lay on the floor with my arms out above my head and held onto the 7.5kg plate and lifted ituntil my arms were out in front of me. Keep arms straight, lower back down and repeat - this is harder than it looks! 15 x3.

I know this is a bad example as most people will not have one of these machines at home but if you're a gym bunny this is a good one! Make sure back is kept straight. 15 x 3

These work the hamstrings and hurt a lot more than I thought because I was actually doing them properly and slowly unlike previous aerobic dvds have taught me. Now I know it looks like the top and middle picture are the same but there is a slight difference.  To start, keep your back and bum flat on the floor, next tilt your pelvis up, then raise your bum off the ground clenching your bum. Lower back down, including the 'untilting' of the pelvis on the way. The emphasis should be on the squeezing and technique as opposed to raising your bum up as high as you can. 15 x 3.

Finally, everyone's favourite...planks! I really struggle to keep my back straight during these, but I just about managed! I did 20 seconds on my front, rest for 10 seconds, 20 seconds on my side, rest for 10 then 20 seconds on the other side then rest for a minute and repeat 3 times.


So I did these on Friday afternoon and then I headed to my free CrossFit taster session on Sunday morning. I really recommend it to anyone seriously looking to increase their fitness and strength. I knew to expect a hard workout but I was in no way prepared for what I was put through haha! 

Crossfit gyms from what I gather tend to be in industrial type areas, there are no treadmills or typical gym machines just a bunch of cool equipment that will work every single muscle in your body! So for this taster session it was just me and another couple - who looked a lot more in shape then I am. Turns out I was right on that assumption! Our trainer took us through some basic moves such as squats, pullups, box jumps, burpees, ring dips (tricep dips using gymnastic rings - and no. I could not do this, even assisted I struggled). 

After the introduction, we were set our very own WOD which had been completed by Saturday's taster session too - 5 men and 1 women who all completed the exercise in around 10-11 mins - except the woman who did hers in 12 something, did half the amount of burpee box jumps and assisted pull ups. 
So our WOD consisted of:
  • Run 400m (this is outside too)
  • 12 Burpee box jumps (normal burpee but once you stand up you must jump straight onto the big box in front of you. It's exceptionally tiring.
  • 8 Pull ups (mine were assisted, and then more assisted and then even more assisted)
We had to do this 3 times! I was seriously holding down some vomit. I have never felt the need to throw up during exercise before but this was something I had never put my body through before and it was tough. By my last round I was doing 8 burpee box jumps and every time I went out to run, I would return to find that the trainer had kindly increased the level of assistance on my pull ups! 

So any guesses on my time? The guy in my group did it in 11, the other girl did hers in 12 and I did mine in..... 16 minutes haha! I was a little embarrassed but hey I did it, I could not have physically pushed myself any more than I did - which is something I have never said after exercise. I'm quite a casual runner, I like not exerting myself too much haha. No body there gave me any reason to feel embarrassed over this either, everyone was really nice and kept telling me I'd done well for not giving up etc. It's a nice group environment, I found it to be a little intimidating to begin with but everyone has to start somewhere. Remember that! 

You don't have to be great at the start, but you have to be great to start.
I have just signed up for my foundations course which starts on the 12th of Feb, I will not let this defeat me and I have found an exercise that is really testing me and pushing me to my limits which is what everyone needs to be their best. 

I'm currently waiting on my pull up bar and assistance band to arrive in the post so I can get practising! I cannot recommend it enough guys, look into it, get yourself to a taster session (they're free so you have nothing to lose) there's no sales pitch at the end they just tell you to book in online if you want more. 

I am feeling it today! No pain, no gain.

Enjoy your week <3 I hope it's a healthy one ;)

Minnie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment